Grandparents
This is going to be a rather serious post. Talking about grandparents, at our age, it is more common rather than uncommon to hear from our friend that one or two out of four grandparents they had had passed away. In this regard, JJ and I have been blessed tremendously, as our four grandparents are all alive. JJ's grandparents married young and same applies to JJ's parents, so all four grandparents are still under 80, where 3 out of 4 my grandparents are over 80 now.
Often it is said that it's the quality that matters not the quantity. I always regard natrual death (aged death) the best. Just old enough and die, not because of sickness or accidents. That is best, I'd rather die natrually at 85 vs. die at 95 with lots of medication and sickness.
The society has posted an devious image over cancer. It is not as fearful as HIV postive but have cancer means a lot to the family. Well, in my family, known to me, there is one cancer patient, my aunt, dad's sister. That's about 15 years ago when she has discovered stomach cancer. The doctor simply said, you have 3 years (or 3 months to live, i can't remember exaclty). But guess what, Aunt is still alive and lives well. So what saved her, you are not going to belive that, Qi Gong and her strong belief that she's going to survive. She survived well beyond the doctor's wrongful verdict. I found those things are very hard to tell the patient how long you got left.
Women has Brest Caner to fear, man has prostate pland to worry. There are basic defence we can do from our youth to prevent it, apart from regular exercises, daily adaquate vitamin intake, 2 serves of Fruits & 5 servers of Veges (which most people would not meet such requirements).
But even for JJ and my family, one day, all our grandparents would die. When you realise your grandpa is 83 and you know it by common sense, it's likely he's going to pass away in ten years or so, esp when you consider when he was born the life expectancy is somewhat 60 - 70 for man. I took off work to accompany him to travel, because it might be last time I can accompany him or the last time he can accompany me (according to his health condition). And after I travelled with him, I am stunned by his fitness. Walking hours with me and mum, grandpa is fine, he is surely going to make into his 90s.
However, not all my grandparents are in equal condition, comparatively grandma is over weight and cannot walk for long any more, even though she's younger than grandpa (mum's dad). And Dad's dad, can no longer walk for more than five minutes, even though he does not have cancer, he suffer from prostate gland problems just like any other aged man. The condition has not been optimistic, though not life threatening, but painful to bear.
I have to go back this year, and next year, and every year from now to visit him. Dad said that I should do that, as I don't know exactly when grandpa would go. His vision has blurred, ear can hardly hear (as an old red army, the war has destroyed his hearing, lucky he survived the war and had a chance to raise my dad, aunts and uncle.)
Sometimes I think about whether i can live as long as my grandpa, considering i was born in a period relatively war free, better food and living condition. Who knows, look, i just skipped lunch with two eggs. People nowadays don't look after themsevles very well, skipped meals, work first, not enough nutrition from daily food intake. I would want to suggest everyone have a healthy life style, then look at myself, I can't even do it strictly myself.
So yes, grandparents are old and will pass away. When we are still able to look after them, do visit them more often, for you might not have the opportunity later on. Do treat your parents well too, for they are getting older soon. They gave lots of best of their times in raising you, they should be respected and treated well before they are getting old. All right, the above is my thoughts for now.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home