GREENWICH MEAN TIME (GMT)
The bet on the whiteboard reads, by 31st March 2005 Midnight, if Bohan doesn't manage, is it? didn't or doesn't, anyways. if Bohan doesn't manage to get a fridge INSTALLED in the kitchen, then he'll buy JJ dinner 14 days in a row.
Being the last minute person, I started hunting on Tuesday. I made one phone call to Radio Rental. Ha, how lazy, going to rent a fridge. Then THEY PROMISED ME, if I pop in WED, the fridge would be delivered to us THURS, NO PROB. So I went on Wed and ONLY DISCOVERED THAT, sorry Thursday our schedule is packed. The earliest is Friday. I walked out straight away.
After that, I was desperately walking around in Bondi junction in a bid to find a shop sells second hand fridge. And then I had a WONDERFUL JAPANESE LUNCH AT K.Ramen, Lunch time special 5.90, the rice is spectacular, FRESH, soft, TENDER, the best rice I'd tasted in 2005. So highly recommended (Near Bing Lee)
Of course, distraction is big as well in Bondi, like Bing Lee and David Jones Computer Department. I can't move my eyes away from Bang & Olusen. B&O i.e. I think it's worth the price tag $600 for a phone and $3000 for a micro hi-fi. Not to mention the 30inch Apple Display and the MEGA-SPECIAL Panasonic PM19 @ only $301.00 with Bi-Amp. AH! I almost used the money to buy the fridge bought the lovely hi-fi. Wood enclosure, beautifully crafted, sweet sound. Well, fridge first.
Bondi Westfield is surely impressive, as it follows the rules to impress: Space. Massive Continuous Space. Anyways, after which I visited four five stores which had fridges. Price range from 550 and up. AND NONE OF THEM CAN DELIVER ON THUR.
i n t e r m i s s i o n

ONE FINE AFTERNOON, Justin and I were sitting downstairs CSE meeting Sammy and Mag. We were doing HCI together, feels so long ago.
Feeling desperate, and then I walked back to the same old spot and find another second hand shop. Its boss promised me that they'll have a fridge in that afternoon (Wed) and would be around 200 bucks & importantly, they can deliver on Thurs. I am like: SAVED! I promised I would visit them early tomorrow morning.
TOMORROW (THURSDAY)
I woke up exceptionally early. Being Bondi just over 9. "Sorry mate, it hasn't come in yet, it would probably in later this afternoon." Uncertainties, uncertainties. What can I do in the mean while. "2nds World." I remember that place, in Randwick. Rushing to Randwick and only find out a 450 fridge that won't be delivered till Sat.
BONDI AGAIN. "Sorry, mate, it's still hasn't come in yet." "How about this one?" "This one is dearer.. $340.00" "DEAL!" Even though they can't deliver tonight, but 8:00am tomorrow morning sounds good enough. Now the only problem left is how to convince JJ that I actually fullfilled what I set out to do.
Before I left for work, I left a note on the board. GREENWICH MEAN TIME, 10:30PM THURSDAY NIGHT, 31st March 2005, The Fridge would be installed. (Few hours later, I finish work and got home 9:30PM...) "Is the fridge coming?" "you mean tonight?" "Yeah, isn't what you wrote on the board?" "Yes, but just read it carefully again." (JJ Reading ... ) "yes, it says Thursday night." "yep, Thursday night, Greenwich Mean Time." "Where is Greenwich?"
Most people would know Sydney is in GMT +1000, no actually, not most people, most people who uses computer would know Sydney is in GMT +1000. Greenwich is located in London, Hence GMT+0000 in plain English that means, they see Friday's Sunrise 10 hours behind.
"I don't believe it." "I can call my friend in London to verify." (minutes later, I was calling London) (few minutes later...) "UNFAIR, you are CHEATING. UNFAIR!" "well, well, we said by 31st March midnight, but we didn't say Sydney time or Australian Easten Time."
^_^ I know I have been tricky and it's on the edge of cheating. JJ was not really buying it, but after I told her about my running around in the past 48 hours, she started to let me off the hook considering the effort I have put in fridge hunting and of course, financial resources.
Before she left the table, she said firmly: I would definately not use such trick, I would play it fair and square, it'll be Sydney time for my bet reads: If JJ doesn't finish / finalise her Enviroment Report by 4th April Midnight, JJ would buy Bohan dinner 14 days in a row.
Well, I am off the hook, don't have to buy dinners 14 days in a row at a price of a mini-debate, it probably worth it. Phew.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home