Monday, December 27, 2004

MENSA :(

The world is a big place. All sorts of organization could exist.

MENSA.ORG - a friend of a friend of a friend has recommended me to join. (which eventually flattered me). So let me summaries what this orgnazation do. NOTHING. That's right, it's an organization that does nothing.

HOW TO ENTER?
YOu need to be in the top 2% in terms of IQ testing according to general public standard. OK, that is meaning SELECTIVE ORGANIZATION.

I don't like it. Ever since I was little, I don't like the idea of selective schools. Well, in China schools are always classified. Ordinary, District Key, City Key or even Province Key (not applicable to Shanghai) and National Key. With so many classification, government use your mark as the solely instrument to arrange you into different middle school and high school eventually and university. Those facts cultivate those in key schools literally look down on those same age student who studies at ordinary high schoo, because they are 'dumber'. I HATE THOSE PEOPLE, it's not because i didn't get in. I just don't enjoy it.

Now after came to Australia, it becomes a completely different story. An ordinary student in Shanghai, i.e. me. come top 5% in ACT after year 12. I still don't like the idea. and i don't like the fact that some software engineers look down onto infs or comp science (because they have much lower UAI cut offs). As a soft engineer myself, i always belive people should not be classified, at least merely by academic abilities. So the friend of friend of friend ask me to join MENSA, i was flattered first, 'he thinks i am smart.' even getting 136 and classified as GBG (General Border Line Genius) in some random online test, i could only know better, IQ doesn't mean anything. most people have similar IQ anyway. And then i told him firmly i don't like the idea of classify people merely by their test scores.

If you ever went to mensa website, they pratically has no goals, no activity. no benefit to the society. In my oppinion, a purely showing off society. "LOOK AT US, WE ARE THE SMARTEST ON THE PLANNET. TO BE QUALIFY AS A MEMBER MEANS I AM IN THE TOP 2%" just think those members motive to join such organization. God knows.